Program / Structural
Structural Engineering is always one of the most important areas in civil engineering. Its main research activities include the analysis and design of civil structures such as buildings, bridges, dams and towers. Since the founding of the Department of Civil Engineering in 1945, professors with structural expertise have been teaching and researching in the structural engineering area. Regarding the establishment of the Structural Engineering Group, it can be traced back to the initial admission cohort of postgraduate students in the Department of Civil Engineering. Up to the present, the number of postgraduate students in the structural engineering group has gradually increased. Currently, more than 45 students enroll in the Masters course annually, including people in the entrance examination. On the other hand, on average, more than 5 PhD students graduate from the group each year. In order to promote the internationalization of the structural engineering group, we also recruit international Masters and PhD students, mainly from Southeast Asia. The number of fulltime staff members also grows annually. Currently, we have 14 staff, with expertise in all areas related to structural and material engineering.
Our department remains in a leading position in both applied and academic research in the structural engineering area. Along with global science and technological development, with economic flourishing and the flourishing of construction in Taiwan, we consistently seek explanations and innovation. The development environment of civil engineering gradually changes, due to the fact that Taiwan has become one of the developed areas. The research interests of the department in structural engineering and materials are adapted to meet the demands of society. In addition, because Taiwan is located in the Pacific Rim earthquake belt, most of the structural design is constrained by the inevitable earthquake threats. Therefore, research into building resistance to earthquakes is always a major research project for the structural engineering group. In 1978, our department founded an earthquake engineering research center in the Engineering faculty of the National Taiwan University (NTU), to promote and lead the research and application of earthquake engineering. Later, this led to a joint National Earthquake Engineering research center, owned by the National Science Council and the NTU. The center is equipped with the most advanced earthquake engineering research instruments, such as a Vibration Table, a Large-Scale Structure Test Bed and a Counter-Force Wall. It is also the milestone that indicates a new era of research in earthquake engineering. In the future, more effort will be put into this area. Our aim is to seek strategies that reduce the harm of the earthquake and increase the happiness of the people and society.
The major research facilities are a Structure Laboratory, a Material Laboratory, a Mechanical Sound Vibration Laboratory and a Free fall Laboratory. In addition, the Vibration table, Large-Scale Structure test bed and Counter-force Wall in the National Earthquake Engineering Research Center are also available for us to use. A new Civil Engineering Building donated by a private company is located next to the National Center for Research on Earthquake Engineering Building on the Xinhai Road, and is currently used by most faculty and graduate students.
Apart from university funds, the financial funds of the group come from the Nation Science Council Assistant Project, Government Projects and Industry Cooperated Projects. Generally, funding levels are sufficient.
The main research crew consists of qualified Masters and PhD students from all areas of Taiwan.
The research areas can be categorized into traditional research areas and future research areas.
- Structural Theory Analysis: Wave dynamics, Vibration and Noise, Plastic Mechanics, Computational Mechanics, Nonlinear Mechanics, Structural Reliability Analysis, Structural Optimization Analysis.
- Earthquake Engineering and Earth-resistance Analysis: Structural Dynamics, Scattered Vibration, System Identification, Building Earthquake-resistant Design Analysis, Bridge Earthquake-resistant Design Analysis, Active and Passive Structure Control.
- Large-scale Structure Earthquake-resistance Experiment: Concrete Structure Earthquake-resistant Experiment and Vibration Table Experiment, Steel Structure Earthquake-resistant Experiment and Vibration Table Experiment, Composite Structure Earthquake-resistant Experiment and Vibration Table Experiment, Isolated Structure Vibration Table Experiment, and Energy Dissipation Structure Vibration Table Experiment.
- Engineering Material : Concrete Mechanics, Concrete Material and Experiment, Material Composition, Fracture Mechanics of Concrete.
- Structure Performance Design Regulation Research: Building Earthquakeresistance Design Regulation Research, Bridge Earthquake-resistant Design Regulation Research, Building Durability Design Regulation Research, Bridge Durability Design Regulation Research.
- Structure Life Cycle Total Design Research: Building Earthquake-resistant & Durable Life Cycle Design and Maintenance Strategy Research, Public Facilities (bridges, etc.). Earthquake-resistance, Flood-resistance and Durability Life Cycle Design and Maintenance Strategy Research.
- Structure Safety Evaluation and Reinforcement : Building Earthquakeresistance Safety Evaluation and Reinforcement, Bridge Earthquakeresistance Safety Evaluation and Reinforcement, Bridge Flood-resistance Safety Evaluation and Reinforcement.
- Innovative Engineering Material Research: High-performance Concrete Material Research, Composite Structure Material Research, High-performance Reinforced Steel, Steel Applications, and Nano-material Applications in Structural Engineering.
- Structure Health Diagnostics and Control: Smart Structure Automatic Monitory System, Smart Structure Control System, and Nano-material Applications in Structure Health Diagnostics.